Happy Guy Fawkes Day, everyone! A good way to celebrate is to join the group of people in V for Vendetta Fawkes masks who pass out flyers in front of the Scientology Church. Or you could get audited there, I guess.
- Free concert in Lisner from the Airmen of Note, featuring jazz vocalist Al Jarreau. The Airmen of Note are the US Air Force’s jazz band, by the way, and they are stellar. [Info]
- FotoWeekDC kicks off tonight! $45 tickets will get you into the Blast Off! Party at the Corcoran tonight. Don’t worry though, there are plenty of free events that start off on Saturday. [Tickets]
- Young Israeli clarinetist, Anat Cohen, presents Clarinetwork – Benny Goodman and Beyond at the Kennedy Center. [Tickets/Info]
- “The voice of the Buena Vista Social Club,” Omara Portuondo is bringing her bold voice from Cuba to Lisner Auditorium. Only $15 for GW students and alumni! [Info/Ticketing]
- The college basketball kicks off with the year’s first game, an exhibition match against Bowie State in Smitty Cent at 2 pm.
- If you’d rather watch some basketball on TV, head to McFadden’s for an all ACC watch party. Specials on drinks and food from 11:30 am – 4 pm.
- If you’re interested in theatre and festivals, head to the Fringe Roadshow and Meet Market to learn about the Edinburgh Fringe Festival. Free, Kennedy Center. [Info]
- Or head to see Xian Zhang conduct the National Symphony Orchestra, featuring Gil Shaham on violin performing Prokofiev. [Info/Tickets]